2020 City of Oaks Challenge: January 18-20, 2020
Triangle Volleyball Club proudly hosts the annual City of Oaks Challenge, held annually in the vibrant downtown of Raleigh, North Carolina.
Follow Us! Instagram: @CityOaksChallenge_VB
The City of Oaks Challenge will be played on 25 courts* in Exhibit Halls A, B, and C at the Raleigh Convention Center [RCC] in downtown Raleigh. An additional eight courts will be used at Triangle's new Wake Competition Center location. *Additional courts in the RCC ballroom may be possible depending on event interest.
RALEIGH CONVENTION CENTER
500 South Salisbury St.
Raleigh, NC 27601
TRIANGLE VOLLEYBALL CLUB at Wake Competition Center
121 Competition Center Drive
Morrisville, NC 27560
The City of Oaks Challenge is an Open Entry tournament [first come, first served] sanctioned by USAV/Carolina Region.
- Entry Fees:
- Junior Girls' - $675.00 per team if paid by check. A $25 service fee will apply to any credit card payments.
- Junior Boys' - $200 [14U - one day event], $350 [16 & 18U - 2 day event] per team
- Registration opens in Advanced Event Systems [AES] October 1, 2019
- Hotels open TBD
- Late Registration: December, 14, 2019
- Roster Deadline: December 21, 2019
To Enter Event:
- Visit AES to enter teams [Rosters are not required for tournament entry]
- Print and sign tournament entry form
- Submit entry form and payment via check or credit card through AES [All checks payable to "Triangle Volleyball Club", 121 Competition Center Drive, Morrisville, NC 27560]
- Team Selection Process: Teams are selected on a first come, first served basis.
Refund Policy: A full refund will be given with written notice to Triangle Volleyball Club [email@example.com] if recieved by November 19th at 5PM. There will be no refunds for withdrawn or dropped teams after this date.
Teams that are not accepted into the event will be placed on a waitlist. Checks for waitlisted teams will be held until after the conlusion of the event or until the team formally withdraws.
- GIRLS - 12U, 13U, 14U, 15U, 16U, and 17/18U
- BOYS - 14U Boys [Sunday only], 16U Boys [Sat/Sun] and 18U Boys [Sat/Sun]
- Triangle reserves the right to offer an invitational division for selected age groups
- Teams must play within their age division [no playing up].
Tournament Format and Schedule
Teams will compete in pools [Days 1 and 2] followed by single elimination bracket play on Day 3. All teams in the three-day event are guaranteed 7 matches (or equivalent). First round pool schedules will be available in AES the week of tournament play.
- 12s Division - round robin format accross 3 days plus at least one additional match on day 3 to determine final place. *12s interested in only a one day event should look in AES for the Triangle Winter Classic as an option [also held at the RCC]
- 13s Division - pool play for the first two days of competition followed by bracket play on day 3
- 14-18s Divisions - after establishing initial seeds for all teams within their age group, top seeded teams will be power-pooled for the first day of competition. All teams will compete in pool play on days 1 and 2 and bracket play on day 3
- 14U - one day event only, Sunday, Jan. 19, 2020
- 16U and 18U - two day event, Saturday, Jan. 18-Sunday, Jan. 19. Depending on size of the field these two divisions could be combined for either a portion or all of the event.
Questions about divisions or format should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2019 WAVE SCHEDULE [2020 TBD]
- AM WAVE [Begins at 8:00 AM] - 17/18s, 16s, 12s
- PM WAVE [Begins at 2:30 PM] - 15s, 14s
- AM or PM Wave - 13s (this division is split)
- Boys divisions schedule as follows:
- 14s - Sunday only, AM wave [possible start time as early as noon]
- 16s - Saturday PM wave, Sunday AM wave
- 18s - Saturday PM wave
Final play schedule will be available the week of the event through Advanced Event Systems.
Hotel Information - Reservations through PSE Open October 3, 2018
- This is NOT a Stay-to-Play event. Teams can plan to stay at a hotel of their choice, however, we have secured a PSE Event Housing to assist teams with accomodations. Note: PSE has secured ALL DOUBLES at the three downtown Raleigh hotels [Sheraton Raleigh, Residence Inn Raleigh Downtown and Marriott Raleigh City Center]. Additionally, teams choosing not to use the booking service are not guaranteed a tournament rate from area hotels.
- The most conveniently located hotels will book up quickly so please book well in advance.
- Lowest Available Room Rates will be via PSE: View hotels and book online, https://pse.tournamenthotels.com/pse/Event/2107
- Book by Phone: 888-417-6446
- Email us at: https://pseeventhousing.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new
Spectator Admission - DOORS WILL OPEN PROMPTLY AT 7 AM. Participants/Spectators will not be allowed into the RCC until 7 AM.
- Admission Costs: $10 per day, $20 3-Day Pass, children under 10 are FREE. CASH ONLY
- Tickets can be purchased on Friday night (January 17th) from 6-9 PM on the mezzanine level of the RCC, or Saturday, Sunday, and Monday beginning at 7 AM adjacent to the Hall B entrance at the RCC. The RCC will open at 7 AM on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
PLEASE READ OUR PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEO DISCLAIMER HERE. Note: our policy is not meant to discourage individual photography/videography. Please use a monopod to avoid tripping hazards.
Travel to Raleigh
If you are traveling to Raleigh via car please check out this link about highway construction in the Raleigh area that might impact your travel schedule to Raleigh and the Raleigh Convention Center: http://www.visitraleigh.com/fortify/
Event parking at the RCC is available throughout the downtown area for $7 (no in-and-out privileges).
There will be a Martin Luther King, Jr. Day parade in downtown Raleigh on Monday, January 20th. Please allow additional time to travel downtown and find parking on this day. A map of the parade route shows all anticipated road closures around the Raleigh Convention Center.
All teams must check-in at their designated playing site. Team check-in for ALL DIVISIONS is 7-9 PM on Friday evening and 7 AM-2 PM on Saturday in Room 204 on the mezzanine level of the RCC. Coaches will receive competition venue entrance credentials at team check-in. Teams will not be able to practice on Friday night at RCC.
City of Oaks Challenge is sanctioned by USA Volleyball through the Carolina Region [CR teams note that the City of Oaks Challenge counts towards eligibility for CR Championships].
Prohibited Items at Raleigh Convention Center
- Coolers, stadium chairs, large baggage, animals [service animals allowed], weapons, tobacco and e-cigarette products are not allowed inside or outside of the RCC (lobby, playing venue, sidewalks).
- Team 'camping' is prohibited by RCC however we have designated Mezzanine level rooms 201 and 202 for team hangout. Please keep room tidy and dispose of all trash. Rules above apply with regard to coolers and outside food. Thank you.
- VIDEOGRAPHY - Monopods only are allowed for filming to reduce tripping hazards for our spectators.
No 'boom boxes' or portable speakers are allowed to be used inside the facility unless they are connected to headphones. 'Warm up music' broadcasted from a speaker or sound system is not allowed.
Concessions for the City of Oaks Challenge are available on-site at RCC provided by Centerplate. No outside food or drink is allowed in the competition venue.
Want to know our staff's favorite places downtown? Check out our "Things to Do"