UPDATED INFORMATION: 2/24/21
COVID-19 Safe Operation Plan Released (updated 2/24/21)
Our goal is to offer a highly competitive and safe event. We are excited that teams from 7 states and the District of Columbia have committed to MAPL Raleigh and the restrictions set forth by our government and public health officials. We have spent considerable energy, creativity, and financial sacrifice to host a MAPL Raleigh that will support high-level competition while protecting the health and safety of all participants. To that end, we have prepared our 2021 COVID-19 Safe Operation Plan. The information contained in this plan is ESSENTIAL for teams and coaching staff to read prior to visiting Raleigh.
TEAM CHECK-IN REMINDER: Don't forget to bring your completed TEAM COVID QUESTIONNAIRE on Day 1
Team Check In
Step 1: ONLINE AES CHECK-IN. Online check-in is open and must be completed by Friday, February 26th at 12:00pm. Rosters must be updated and verified in AES prior to completion of check-in.
Roster details include:
- No age waivered players are allowed on any roster including boys’ teams.
- All rosters must be VERIFIED per Sports Engine/USAV requirements.
- Team Representatives and Chaperones are NOT considered team staff and will not be granted entry into the event.
- Videographers do NOT need to be on the verified roster. Only one per wave.
- Emergency roster changes will be taken on site but will delay the entire team from getting to their court so make sure rosters are accurate.
Step 2: Physical Check-In
- RCC | Team check-in will be in waves shown below. Please make every effort to stick to your arrival time to avoid congestion. You will not be allowed in early because you came early.
- YOUR ENTIRE TEAM (COACHES, ATHLETES, VIDEOGRAPHER) needs to be together to check in.
- Saturday/Sunday - CHECK IN for 8am or 8:30am is ONE-HOUR prior to match start time.
- CHECK IN for all other waves on Saturday/Sunday is NO MORE THAN 45 minutes prior to match start time.
- Triangle | Team check-in will open no earlier than one-hour before your scheduled match time. You will not be allowed in early because you came early.
- Given the buffered and staggered schedule each team will be able to have some open court time for warm up. But please stay off the court until all cleaning procedures have been completed.
General Schedule Information - First round pools will be posted in AES no later than 12 Noon on Wednesday, February 24th.
- Saturday, February 27 - Teams will play ONE four-team pool played on two courts (3 hour wave). We have staggered entry times by 1/2 hour to manage ingress to facility.
- Black Division [16-18s] will be either 12:30pm/1pm wave OR 5pm/530pm wave.
- Blue Division [14-16s] will be either 8am/830am wave OR 1pm wave.
- Red Division [13-14s] will be either 8:30am/9am wave OR 1pm/1:30pm wave.
- Sunday, February 28
- Black Division [16-18s] will begin their play as early as 8:30am. Last scheduled match in this division is 4pm.
- Blue Division [14-16s] will begin their play either at 8am or at 10:30am depending on performance on Saturday. Last scheduled match in this division is 2:30pm.
- Red Division [13-14s] will be either 8:30am OR 10:30am. Last scheduled match in this division is 3:30pm.
BATTLE OF THE BROS - all matches played at Triangle Volleyball Club
- Saturday, February 27
- Battle of the Bros 14s will be played in ONE day beginning 8am at Triangle. Match guarantee is 4. Last scheduled match in this division is 2:30pm.
- Battle of the Bros 16-18s will play TWO 4-team brackets (4 matches) on day 1. Wave 1: played at either 11am OR 130pm. Wave 2: played at either 4pm or 630pm at Triangle.
- Sunday, February 28
- Battle of the Bros 16-18s will begin play at either 9am or 1130am. Last scheduled match is 1230pm.
Everyone can likely appreciate the challenges associated with seeding given the lack of results to date and last season. With that said, for the purposes of MAPL Raleigh/Battle of the Bros we have considered the AES rankings along with head-to-head results among those in our field. To the extent possible when head-to-head results were not available, we took a further step to check for common opponents. Once AES generates first-round pools and the 'seed check' we will tweak seeding to avoid club v club match ups whenever possible.
ROSTERS: Teams are permitted to register for the event without rosters. However, in order to ensure that coaches, team representatives, etc. receive vital tournament information via AES email it is imperative that rosters be loaded into AES as soon as possible. ROSTER DEADLINE: Jan. 23, 2020
FORMAT: Teams play in mixed age divisions. BLACK [16-18's]; BLUE [14-16's], and RED [13-14's]. It is typical that less than 10-16's teams play in the BLACK division and less than 10-14's teams play in the BLUE division. Seeding will rely primarily on results as found in AES. It is each team's responsibility to maintain their results in AES for seeding purposes. For 2021, a COVID-19 friendly format will be adopted and more information will be provided closer to the event.
LOCATIONS: Divisions are played at the following locations:
- Black Division [16u-18u Girls], Blue Division [14u-16u Girls], Red Division [13u-14u] - Downtown at the Raleigh Convention Center
- Boys 14u & 16u-18u - Triangle Volleyball Club, 121 Competition Center Drive, Morrisville, NC 27560
HOTELS: This is NOT a Stay-to-Play event*. MAPL Raleigh does NOT require teams to book with a specific agency. In an effort to assist teams with their travel to Raleigh, Triangle Volleyball Club has partnered with Team Travel Source to secure hotel room blocks at reduced rates for tournament participants. For more information on hotels, click HERE.
ROSTERS & RESULTS: We know that the SportsEngine system has caused frustration for many club staff members and families. Please take care to ensure that your rosters have been uploaded and verified as soon as possible so important communication can be sent via AES to the staff listed on the roster, and so that any roster compliance issues can be settled before the tournament check-in begins.
- Since we do not anticipate being able to have spectators we are resetting our roster size to 15 [as of 2/8/2021].
- If you are playing in events and have results, please ensure they are entered into AES as well. Results will be utilized for seeding but we cannot account for results we don’t have.
NC Governor’s Curfew: On Friday, February 26 at 5pm the current curfew will EXPIRE. :-)
The tournament schedule is being modified to comply. We are adding a time buffer to best ensure matches will be completed and teams can exit by 10:00pm. If courts get quite behind (unlikely given format and buffers), we will alter match scoring format (for example, starting at 5-5) to ensure we finish prior to 10pm.
TOURNAMENT FORMAT: We are in the process of finalizing tournament flow and format. Division wave schedules and times will be posted on the website once finalized. For the 2021 event, we will be utilizing a COVID-friendly format that will differ from previous years at MAPL. Worth noting is that our guaranteed match minimum will be 5 for the two-day event. Only the Gold bracket will be played out in each division.
Tie-breakers: In all cases 3-way ties will be decided by set percentage first, followed by point percentage second. Should that still cause a tie, a coin-toss will be used. NO tiebreakers will be played due to time and buffer requirements.
FACE-COVERING ORDINANCE: The North Carolina Governor announced tightened mask restrictions for the state on Monday, November 23rd. As a result, the MAPL Raleigh tournament staff has officially implemented masking for all participants at all times at our tournament, including for athletes while competing during matches. It is important to note the only age exemptions at this time in North Carolina are for ages 5 & under. There will also be medical exemptions, but the process for filing a medical exemption will be forthcoming for the tournament and will require completion in advance of check-in.
Team Check In: NEW for 2021, teams will complete an online check-in in AES. Check-in will open on Wednesday, February 24th at 10:00am and must be completed by Friday, February 26th at 12:00pm. Rosters must be updated and verified in AES prior to completion of check-in.
Roster details include:
- No age waivered players are allowed on any roster including boys’ teams.
- A maximum of 15 verified athletes are allowed on rosters
- All athletes listed on the roster must have a birthdate and uniform number listed.
- A valid background screening and SafeSport certification must be completed for all adult staff members.
- There is a maximum of 3 staff members per team and cell phone numbers are required for each coach
- Head and assistant coaches must have completed IMPACT certification. **Region exceptions do NOT apply.
- An IMPACT certified coach, listed on the roster, must be present on the bench at all times.
- Team Representatives and Chaperones are not considered team staff and will not be granted entry into the event.
Points of Interests and Food in Raleigh: In a typical year, the MAPL Raleigh tournament staff would be highlighting all of the amazing museums, local attractions, and award-winning food and drink scene in Raleigh. Unfortunately, we know that this year must be different. Thankfully, our partners at VisitNC and the Greater Raleigh Sports Alliance [GRSA] have compiled a list of activities and restaurants that have adapted to keep visitors safe and satisfied on your trip.
R-Line Downtown Circulator - the bus route that services downtown is suspending operations two weeks prior to MAPL Raleigh and will not resume service until the summer. Please plan accordingly with your teams and families.
MAPL Team Acceptance: MAPL Raleigh is NOT an open entry tournament where team acceptance is done on a first-come, first-served basis. Alternatively, acceptance criteria is based on team performance relative to strength of field and rests strongly on performance history and strength of a teams' competition schedule. TEAMS MUST COMPLETE A PRE-ACCEPTANCE SURVEY which is used to assist the MAPL Competition Committee with team acceptance criteria. To complete the survey visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MAPLearly.
MAPL Raleigh tournament registration OPENS in AES on November 1, 2020.
TEAM STATUS DESIGNATIONS:
- PENDING - upon registration and until acceptance decisions are made teams will be listed as 'PENDING'.
- ACCEPTED - once the MAPL Competition Committee determines the field, accepted teams into the event field will be listed as 'ACCEPTED'.
- WAITLISTED - teams not accepted will be moved to a 'WAITLISTED' status once the tournament field is complete. The only way a 'waitlisted' team will play in the event is if a team drops and they are the next team on the list to be accepted. Teams may opt to NOT be waitlisted by notifying the committee and withdrawing from the event. They will not forfeit their entry fee is they withdraw from a 'waitlisted' status.
BATTLE OF THE BROS TEAM ACCEPTANCE: Payment is required to secure tournament entry. Checks should be payable to 'Triangle Volleyball Club' and will not be cashed until a team is 'accepted' into this event. Teams accepted on a first-come, first-served basis once registration and payment is received. Refunds will not be given once a team has been accepted.
REFUND POLICY: A full refund will be given with written notice to Triangle Volleyball Club [email@example.com] if received by December 11 at 5 PM. There will be no refunds for withdrawn or dropped teams after this date.
EVENT CANCELLATION POLICY: In the event that MAPL Raleigh/Battle of the Bros is cancelled due to public health guidance or executive order relating to COVID-19, Triangle Volleyball Club and the MAPL Raleigh/Battle of the Bros tournament staff will make every effort to refund the majority of each team’s entry fee (less any credit card processing fees) after an accounting of all recoverable expenses. Minimally, teams should expect that $25 of each team’s registration fee will be retained and considered nonrefundable in the event of a cancellation to cover tournament administrative fees.